Also known as Palmistry. The hands change throughout life - the lines evolving over time, reflecting changes in ones life. Therefore the gazing and reading of the lines and bumps and variations of the palm can give you an understanding of the subjects personality, history, and a glimpse at their future. It is important to note that Palm Reading should be a dry reading - meaning you shuold not ask any questions leading up to the reading. Any information given might sway the reading instead of you taking the variations at face value.
The dominant hand (right for right-handed people, etc) shows what the subject has done with their life (their conscious mind) where as their non-dominant hand shows their birth potential - how their life would have played out if their choices and actions had been different (their unconscious mind).
You always start with noting the shape of the hand - shape of the palm, length of the fingers etc (see list A for associations). Even though this will be among the last you present as part of the reading. Then move onto examining the non-dominant hand to see what potential they were given at birth. This will give you a basis for understanding what will be on the dominant hand. Notice the lines - if they are deep and clear tis indicates the subject understands and experiences much of the joys and pains in life. If however, the lines are faint the subject wil tend to be superficial and morecolorless. THey need to get out and enjoy life to the fullest.
List A - Shape of the Hand
Although variations abound, the most common classifications used by modern palmists (from www.wickipedia.com ) :
Earth hands are generally identified by broad, square palms and fingers, thick or coarse skin, and ruddy color. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually equal to the length of the fingers.
Air hands exhibit square or rectangular palms with long fingers and sometimes protruding knuckles, low-set thumbs, and dry skin. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually less than the length of the fingers.
Water hands are recognizable by the long, sometimes oval-shaped palm, with long, flexible, conical fingers. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually less than the width across the widest part of the palm, and usually equal to the length of the fingers.
Fire hands are characterized by a square or rectangular palm, flushed or pink skin, and shorter fingers. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually greater than the length of the fingers.
List B - Reading the Palm
The three lines found on almost all hands, and generally given most weight by palmists:
- Heart Line is found towards the top of the palm, under the fingers. Palmists interpret this line to represent matters of the heart, both physical and metaphorical, and believe it can indicate emotional stability, romantic perspectives, depression, and stoicism, in addition to various aspects of cardiac health. Essentially - this line shows by its length and depth, the strength of the subjects emotional and intuitive capabilities. Someone who has a long deep Heart Line is likely to feel deeply both the good and the bad - emotions are important to this person with judgements and hunches as the likely result. It should always be considered along with the Head Line as there is a strong relationship between the two. This line is often more developed on the unconscious hand (non-dominant) than the conscious.
- Head Line. This line starts at the edge of the palm under the index finger and flows across the palm towards the outside edge. Often, the head line is joined with the life line (see below) at inception. Palmists generally interpret this line to represent the person's mind and the way it works, including learning style, communication style, intellectualism, and thirst for knowledge. It is also believed to indicate a preference for creative or analytical approaches to information.Essentially - it shows by its length and depth, the intellectual capability of the subject. A long, deep, and clear Head Line indicates a clear, strong intellect that can be of great value to the subject. If the line slants downward rather than straight across indicates someone who has very high intelligence, but often uses it fo the wrong goals, BUT they have the capability to be highly powerful if guided.
- Life Line. This line extends from the edge of the palm above the thumb and travels in an arc towards the wrist. This line is believed to represent the person's vitality and vigor, physical health and general well being. The life line is also believed to reflect major life changes, including cataclysmic events, physical injuries, and relocations. Contrary to popular belief, modern palmists generally do not believe that the length of a person's life line is tied to the length of a person's life. If this line never connects with the Head Line than the subject has a strongly independent nature - they have always been; rather than the Head and Life Lines starting out connected (representing our emotional dependence with our parents) then branching off with maturity. This line can be accurately broken down into sections representing years of life - take the life line and separate it into 3 equal parts. The first (containing the blending of the Life and Head) represents the first 25 years of life. A deep clear Life Line running smoothly around the palm indicates a rich, full life with good health throughout. A line that is in the form of a chain shows probable bad health - if it is only chained in the latter portion of the line the subject should beware of poor health in the later years of life. A parallel to the life Line on the side of the Mound of Venus, shows useful luck and natural vitality . On most palms there will be a number of tiny lines that branch from the Life to the Head or Hear Lines. Each of these indicate a goal of some kind that will be attained. (If you broke the lifeline accurately you should be able to form a time-line accurate up to within 2 years of when these goals will be achieved). About 2/3 of the way across the lifeline will often have a triangle formed of 2 short minor lines and a part of the Life Line itself. This means a talent of some sort is available for the subject to use for great personal satisfaction. An angle or sudden change in direction of the Life Line shows that there will be a change in course in their life. A break in the line will mean trouble, and if the break occurs on both hands it can be fatal if great care is not taken. If, however, a new line begins at the Mount of Venus, the trouble will not be too drastic.
- Fate Line runs from the bottom of the palm near the wrist, up through the center of the palm towards the middle finger. This line is believed to be tied to the person's life path, including school and career choices, successes and obstacles. Sometimes this line is thought to reflect circumstances beyond the individual's control, or alternately the person's choices and their consequences. Essentially - not everyone will have this line. According to Raymond Bucklands "Complete Book of Witchcraft", for some this line will run strong and deep from the wrist to the middle finger (meaning luck comes readily and freely, these subjects do well with no apparent effort) The great majority of people, however, the line might be faint or nonexistant (maning luck only comes through hard work) For many others the line may be deep and unbroken up to the Heart Line where it will blend into it (meaning they let emotions obstruct much of the good fortune that would normally come their way - worry, temper, fear, whatever may be limiting them). Similarly, the line might break or blend at the line of the Head (maning they may over think things too much, when the mind is made up the opportunity may be past) Someone whose Fate Line starts on the Mount of the Moon (see below) will probably have a peaceful life. If only a part of the Fate Line branches to the bast of the Mount of the Moon than good fortune will come from a marriage or other attatchment. If it starts at the wristlets - wealth will be inherited, or rewarding career gained.
- The upper half of the palm lying immediately below the fingers is considered to represent the higher or intellectual nature and the lower half of the palm to represent the materialistic side of the nature. If one of these halves is larger than the other as decided by the central placement of the head line or in this case the single transverse palmar crease it shows greater development of that aspect of the nature. Based on this general principle, if this line is placed below its abovementioned normal position it indicates an intensely intellectual nature; if it is placed above its normal position it indicates an intensely materialistic nature and interests.
- On rare ocassions the Heart & Head Lines join to form a single deep line - indicates the Head and the Heart are united and few barriors can stand in the way. This person will probably be of genius level. However they need to work to keep a tight discipline on their mind for there is a slight barrior between the strong controlled mind and uncontrolled chaos of mental instability.
Other minor lines:
- Sun Line - parallel to the Fate Line, under the ring finger; believed to indicate fame or scandal.
- Mount of Venus - starts between the little and ring fingers, runs in a rough arc under the ring and middle fingers to end between the middle and pointer fingers; thought to relate to emotional intelligence and the ability to manipulate If it is thin, dry and leathery - the subject is cold and thinlipped, tolerating little warmth from others. If it is warm and well rounded, full and firm - the subject is under Venus' best inluences; pleasing as a friend, delightful in love, and a person whose kindness toward others always brings warmth. If the Mount is crossed by many vertical & horizontal lines this person is not as serene as they appear - they have many underlying feelings kept deeply hidden.
- Mount of the Moon - aka The mount of Luna is located on the lower part of the palm directly below the lower plain of Mars. A triangle on this mount indicates a natural talent within the occult. Any lines that arise indicate a hint of unconscious magick and of its close relation or of love between man and woman. Lines reaching toward this Mount from around the edge of the hand indicate a prediction of travel by sea or air. This firmness and fullness of this mount indicates generally just how well the subject can combine practicality with imagination.
- Union Lines (aka Marriage Lines) - short horizontal lines found on the percussive edge of the palm between the Heart Line and the bottom of the little finger; believed to indicate close relationships, sometimes - but not always - romantic.
- Mercury Line - runs from the bottom of the palm near the wrist, up through the palm towards the little finger; purported to be an indicator of persistent health issues, business acumen, or skill in communication.
- Travel Lines - these are horizontal lines found on the percussive edge of the palm between the wrist and the heart line; each line is said to represent a trip taken by the subject - the longer the line, the more important the trip is to the subject.
- Wristlets - At the base of the hand sometimes rings can be found. They will generally indicate how long life will last. Each complete, well-formed ring shows a complete twenty years of life. But the wristlets willl change considerably throughout life, and choices and way of life will be the final factor on longevity.
- Other Markings - these include stars, crosses, triangles, squares, tridents, and rings under each of the fingers; their supposed impact and meaning varies by location on the palm and freedom from other interfering lines.
The Fingers: Each finger is broken into 3 sections and is associated with an astrological sign - it is also an indicator of good or bad aspects of these signs. At the base of the finger is the mount associated with the sign of the finger (eg. index finger = Mount of Jupiter). The fullness or thiness of the Mount shows how strongly te aspects of the sign are influencing the subject. The 3 sections represent the relative spiritual, intellectual, and material development under each of the signs. If for example, the lowest section of the small finger (Mercury) is noticable larger than the other 2 sections then there would be strength expecially in management and salesmanship. Using List C along with intuition and judgement - similar personality traits can be derived.
List C - Astrological Associations of the Fingers.
- The Thumb: Rhea, follows the mount of Venus.
- The Index Finger: ruled by Jupiter, is above the mount of Jupiter. The matriarch/patriarch image, the "boss", comander, leader, executive. Principle traits are pride, ambition and confidence. Upper Mars mount is located beneath the mount of Jupiter.
- The Middle Finger: ruled by Saturn, is above the mount of Saturn. the plain of Mars is located in the center of the palm (beneath the mount of Saturn), The wise old man/woman, often the personification of old age and the very end of life. Principle traits of this sign are wisdom, solitude, shyness, melancholy, an solitary bleakness.
- The ring finger: ruled by Apollo/the Sun God, is above the mount of Apollo. All things Bright and Good. The arts, medicine. Principle Traits are love and beauty.
- The pinky finger: ruled by Mercury, is above the mount of Mercury. Sharpness and quickness of mind; cleverness; shrewdness;. Principle Traits include buoyancy, friendliness, skill in management and commerce.
I developed this information based on Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland and www.Wickipedia.com .